    SubjectRe: [RFC/PATCH] network configs: disconnect network options from drivers
    * Randy.Dunlap <20050330234709.1868eee5.randy.dunlap@verizon.net> 2005-03-30 23:47

    > RFC: This is a work-in-progress (WIP), not yet completed.
    >
    > A few people dislike that the Networking Options menu is inside
    > the Device Drivers/Networking menu. This patch moves the
    > Networking Options menu to immediately before the Device Drivers menu,
    > renames it to "Networking options and protocols", & moves most
    > protocols to more logical places (IMHOOC).

    Definitely a good idea.

    > The reasons that it is still WIP are:
    > - I'd like to see all of the sub-menus done in the same style;

    Further suggestions:

    - Introduce sub menus on separate pages for TCP/IP, DECNet,
    ATM, ... i.e. like it is done for SCTP.

    - Separate things into top categories
    Socket Families (maybe separate page)
    - PF_PACKET
    - PF_UNIX
    - PF_KEY
    Protocols (separate page)
    - TCP/IP networking (separate page)
    - IPv6 (affecting choices below)
    - Privary extensions
    - multicasting
    - routing
    - advanced router
    - policy routing
    - use nfmark with chaching support
    - multipath routing
    - cached
    - rrd
    - random
    - ...
    - multicast routing
    - pim v1
    - pim v2
    - verbose route monitoring
    - auto configuration
    - dhcp
    - boop
    - rarp
    - tunneling
    - IPv4
    - IPIP
    - GRE
    - broadcast
    - IPv6
    - IPv6oIPv6
    - transformations
    - IPv4
    - AH
    - ESP
    - IPComp
    - IPv6
    - AH
    - ESP
    - IPComp
    - ARP daemon
    - TCP
    - Diagnostics
    - Syn Cookies
    - SCTP
    - ATM
    - 802.1d
    - 802.1q
    - DECnet
    - 802.2 LLC
    - IPX
    - Appletalk
    - X.25
    - LAPB
    - Econet
    <<Good title here>>
    - Netfilter
    - IPsec
    - LVS
    - Frame Diverter
    - QoS & Fair Queueing
    - Network testing
    - WAN Router

    Thoughts?

      Last update: 2005-04-06 13:31    [W:0.025 / U:0.188 seconds]