SubjectRe: [linux-pm] Re: swsusp 'disk' fails in bk-current - intel_agp at fault?
On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:02:44 -0800 (PST), Patrick Mochel
<mochel@digitalimplant.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
>
> > Ok, what do you think about this one?

> > swsusp: disable usermodehelper after generating memory snapshot and
> > before resuming devices, so when device fails to resume we
> > won't try to call hotplug - userspace stopped anyway.
>
> Hm, shouldn't we disable it before we start to freeze processes? We don't
> want any more processes trying to start up after we've taken care of
> them..

Can't a device be removed (for any reason) _while_ we are freezing
processes? I think freeszing code will properly deal with it... What
about suspend semantics - if suspend fails do we say the device should
be operational or the system should attempt to re-initialize? I.e. we
are not doing suspend after all - can we still drop messages on the
floor? After all, we still have ability to run coldplug after failed
suspend.

I frankly am not sure at what point to disable usermode helper. Or
maybe we need to have a list of pending events and suspend khelper_wq
while suspending.

--
Dmitry