    SubjectRe: [linux-pm] Re: swsusp 'disk' fails in bk-current - intel_agp at fault?
    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:02:44 -0800 (PST), Patrick Mochel
    <mochel@digitalimplant.org> wrote:

    > On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
    >
    > > Ok, what do you think about this one?

    > > swsusp: disable usermodehelper after generating memory snapshot and
    > > before resuming devices, so when device fails to resume we
    > > won't try to call hotplug - userspace stopped anyway.
    >
    > Hm, shouldn't we disable it before we start to freeze processes? We don't
    > want any more processes trying to start up after we've taken care of
    > them..

    Can't a device be removed (for any reason) _while_ we are freezing
    processes? I think freeszing code will properly deal with it... What
    about suspend semantics - if suspend fails do we say the device should
    be operational or the system should attempt to re-initialize? I.e. we
    are not doing suspend after all - can we still drop messages on the
    floor? After all, we still have ability to run coldplug after failed
    suspend.

    I frankly am not sure at what point to disable usermode helper. Or
    maybe we need to have a list of pending events and suspend khelper_wq
    while suspending.

    --
    Dmitry