SubjectRe: [patch] optimization: defer bio_vec deallocation
On Tue, Mar 29 2005, Chen, Kenneth W wrote:
> Jens Axboe wrote on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 12:13 AM
> > Just _some_ results would be nice, Dave is right in that 'measurable
> > gains' doesn't really say anything at all. Personally I would like to
> > see a profile diff, for instance. And at least something like 'we get 1%
> > gain bla bla'.
>
> OK, performance gain for this industry db benchmark is 0.3%.

OK.

> > Now, about the patch. I cannot convince myself that it is not deadlock
> > prone, if someone waits for a bvec to be freed. Will slab reclaim always
> > prune the bio slab and push the bvecs back into the mempool, or can
> > there be cases where this doesn't happen?
>
> So on allocation, I should always get memory from slab first, if fail then
> get from mempool. Mark the bvec appropriately where the memory came
> from. On deallocating bio, check bvec flag and return memory if they
> came from mempool. Would that address your concern?

Hmmm no, I don't think we are talking about the same thing (what you
describe is what currently happens anyways, this is how mempools work).
Am I guarenteed to get a bio with a bvec already assigned when doing a
bio allocation, if one exists?

--
Jens Axboe