SubjectRe: How's the nforce4 support in Linux?
Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Indrek Kruusa wrote:
>
>> Jeff Garzik wrote:

>>> Driver bug. I can futz with it and get it to do 64-bit on my Athlon64.
>>

>> Continuing with off-topic questions: is this "checksum off-load"
>> usable with r8169? Is there any other reason (performance?) to use
>> hardware TCP/IP checksumming than just "cool, a little chunk of
>> software is hardwired again"?
>

> It's usable, and enables "zero copy" feature.
>

>> I have seen you mentioned that this causes mainly troubles if you try
>> to set it with ethtool. Is it still true?
>

> Not sure what you are referring to.

Sorry - my brains interpretation was classic rumor case: discussion I
remembered was about broken NIC not about enabling hw checksum. I
referred to this one:

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0503.3/0369.html

Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:
>
>> Noone will complain on Linux if NIC is broken and produces wrong
>> checksum
>> and HW checksum offloading is enabled using ethtools.
>

> Actually, that is a problem and people have definitely complained
> about it in the past.

  Last update: 2005-04-06 13:31    [W:0.074 / U:11.688 seconds]