SubjectRe: 2.6.11-rc4-mm1: something is wrong with swsusp powerdown
Andrew Morton wrote:
> (Please do reply-to-all)
>
> Jindrich Makovicka <makovick@kmlinux.fjfi.cvut.cz> wrote:
>
>>Pavel Machek wrote:
>>
>>>Hi!
>>>
>>>In `subj` kernel, machine no longer powers down at the end of
>>>swsusp. 2.6.11-rc5-pavel works ok, as does 2.6.11-bk.
>>
>>For me, power down stopped working since the introduction of softlockup
>>detection. After disabling CONFIG_DETECT_SOFTLOCKUP, powerdown works fine.
>

> Could you send the output which CONFIG_DETECT_SOFTLOCKUP generates?
>
> I had one CONFIG_DETECT_SOFTLOCKUP failure with suspend, on SMP. The
> machine was stuck somewhere under mce_work_fn(). Perhaps in the
> smp_call_function(). It only happened the once.

Strange enough, softlockup produces no additional output. Kernel just
prints "acpi_power_off called" and freezes. Without softlockup detection
compiled in it turns off normally.

First I was under impression that this is caused by
acpi_power_off-bug-fix.patch mentioned above, but unfortunately removing
it didn't actually solve the problem. Later I found I missed that
softlockup detection sneaked in turned on by default, and disabling it
made power off work again.

Power down via APM produced some softlockup output, but I am not sure if
APM actually worked on my machine before - I just tried APM if it works
when ACPI doesn't, and didn't bother taking a snapshot. I can recompile
an APM kernel with softlockup enabled and disabled and test it, if it
could help.

--
Jindrich Makovicka