SubjectRe: swsusp 'disk' fails in bk-current - intel_agp at fault?
Date
Hi,

On Friday, 25 of March 2005 17:04, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:42:37 +0100, Pavel Machek <pavel@suse.cz> wrote:
> > Hi!

> > > Oh, always panic-happy Pavel ;). It really depends on what kind of
> > > device has faled to resume. If the device is really needed for writing
> > > image then panic is the only recourse, but if it some other device you
> > > resuming just ignore it, who cares...
> >
> > You are right, for resume-during-suspend, we may as well risk it. We
> > have consistent state, and if we happen to write it on disk,
> > everything is okay.
> >
> > For resume-during-resume, I don't really know how we can handle
> > that. Running with some devices non-working seems dangerous to me.
> >

> I think it again varies, and the driver would have to decide what to
> do if it can not resume hardware.

Well, I don't think that the driver would be able to state that its failure
is "serious enough", for example, to panic(). This is only known to the
higher-level code that calls the driver's _resume() routine. IMO the driver
should not make any assumptions of its importance (eg a SCSI driver
that panic()s, because it's unable to resume a disk which does not
even contain a mounted partition is not a good idea ;-)).

> Take for example USB - i believe USB
> guys are shooting at being able to disconnect device while the box is
> suspended and have it removed from the system when resuming. In
> Probably every driver that has even a slighest notion of
> hot-pluggability should just properly clean up after itself and not
> signal error to the core.

Unless, for instance, one of its devices contains the root filesystem.

> > > Btw, I dont think that doing selective resume (as opposed to selective
> > > suspend and Nigel's partial device trees) would be so much
> > > complicated. You'd always resume sysdevs and then, when iterating over
> > > "normal" devices, just skip ones not in resume path. It can all be
> > > contained in driver core I believe (sorry but no patch, for now at
> > > least).
> >
> > :-) I think we can simply make device freeze/unfreeze fast enough.
> > [We do not need to do full suspend/resume; freeze is enough].

If the driver is compiled as a module, its devices may be uninitialized
when its _resume() routine is called (eg in the resume-during-resume).
Hence, IMHO, we can forget the "unfreeze" thing until we can differentiate
the resume-during-suspend from the resume-during-resume etc. ...

Greets,
Rafael

--
- Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?
- That depends a good deal on where you want to get to.