SubjectClock 3x too fast on AMD64 laptop [WAS Re: Various issues after rebooting]
Hi all

Following my own thread, I found the following error in dmesg:

PM-Timer running at invalid rate: 33% of normal - aborting.

I found that interesting because 33% is 1/3 and the clock runs exactly
3x faster than normal...

A bit of search on google gave me several links to posts from other
people with the exact same problem on similar hardware (AMD64 laptop)
but I couldn't find neither the cause nor the fix of that issue (as I
think it might be related to the other issues I observe when the clock
goes too fast)

Does that PM-Timer message makes sense to someone knowledgeable?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,
Olivier.

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 21:39 +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 09:30:26PM +0200, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> > Hi Willy
> >
> > On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 21:20 +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> > > Now I have a compaq (nc8000) which does not exhibit such buggy behaviour,
> > > but you can try disabling the APIC too just in case it's a similar problem
> > > (at least in 32 bits, I don't know if you can disable it in 64 bits mode).
> >
> > Thanks for the hint, but unfortunately, it's one of the first things I
> > tried, and that makes no difference.
>
> Sorry, at first I only noticed ACPI in your mail, but after reading it
> again, I also noticed APIC. So now, you can only try not to initialize
> some peripherals (IDE, network, display, etc...) by removing their drivers
> from the kernel. You may end up with a kernel panic, but that does not
> matter is you boot it with "panic=5" so that it automatically reboots
> 5 seconds after the panic. You should then finally identify the subsystem
> which is responsible for your problems. Perhaps you'll even need to remove
> PCI support :-(
>
> Regards,
> Willy

  Last update: 2005-04-06 13:31    [W:0.065 / U:0.240 seconds]