    SubjectRe: Can't use SYSFS for "Proprietry" driver modules !!!.
    On Sun, 2005-03-27 at 21:54 -0400, Horst von Brand wrote:

    > Wrong. You are free to do whatever you like in the privacy of your home,
    > but not distribute the result. So you could very well distribute both
    > pieces, one under GPL, the other not, and leave the linking to the end
    > user.
    > Sure, /creating/ the piece to be linked with the GPLed code might make it
    > GPL also, but that is another story.

    Actually this is an easy one. If you are the creator of the code, you
    can license it anyway you want. So you can make it both GPL and allow it
    to link with your code. Heck, put it under LGPL since GPL is allowed to
    link to that.

    Anyway, I don't think that the GPL is that powerful to affect things not
    linked directly with it. Just like the MS license can't make you do
    certain things that were stated in the license, the GPL can't take too
    much control over what you do. If something in the license is
    reasonable, than it is easy to enforce (like taking the code from GPL
    source and using it in a binary) but if it starts to stretch (like
    controlling the code you write and how you can use it) then that will
    have to be fought in court, and will probably lose.

    -- Stev

      Last update: 2005-04-06 13:31    [W:0.035 / U:4.144 seconds]