SubjectRE: Industry db benchmark result on recent 2.6 kernels
Date
On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 11:33 -0800, Chen, Kenneth W wrote:
> We will be taking db benchmark measurements more frequently from now on with
> latest kernel from kernel.org (and make these measurements on a fixed interval).
> By doing this, I hope to achieve two things: one is to track base kernel
> performance on a regular base; secondly, which is more important in my opinion,
> is to create a better communication flow to the kernel developers and to keep
> all interested party well informed on the kernel performance for this enterprise
> workload.

Dave Hansen wrote on Monday, March 28, 2005 11:50 AM
> I'd guess that doing it on kernel.org is too late, sometimes. How high
> is the overhead of doing a test? Would you be able to test each -mm
> release? It's somewhat easier to toss something out of -mm for
> re-review than it is out of Linus's tree.

The overhead is fairly high to run the benchmark. It's not a one minute run.
(more or less like a 5 hour exercise. Benchmark run time along is 3+ hours).
-mm has so many stuff, I'm not sure we would have the bandwidth to do a search
on which patch trigger N% regression, etc. Let me try the base kernel first
and if resources are available, I can attempt to do it on -mm tree.

  Last update: 2005-04-06 13:31    [W:0.207 / U:0.108 seconds]