    SubjectRE: Industry db benchmark result on recent 2.6 kernels
    Date
    On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 11:33 -0800, Chen, Kenneth W wrote:
    > We will be taking db benchmark measurements more frequently from now on with
    > latest kernel from kernel.org (and make these measurements on a fixed interval).
    > By doing this, I hope to achieve two things: one is to track base kernel
    > performance on a regular base; secondly, which is more important in my opinion,
    > is to create a better communication flow to the kernel developers and to keep
    > all interested party well informed on the kernel performance for this enterprise
    > workload.

    Dave Hansen wrote on Monday, March 28, 2005 11:50 AM
    > I'd guess that doing it on kernel.org is too late, sometimes. How high
    > is the overhead of doing a test? Would you be able to test each -mm
    > release? It's somewhat easier to toss something out of -mm for
    > re-review than it is out of Linus's tree.

    The overhead is fairly high to run the benchmark. It's not a one minute run.
    (more or less like a 5 hour exercise. Benchmark run time along is 3+ hours).
    -mm has so many stuff, I'm not sure we would have the bandwidth to do a search
    on which patch trigger N% regression, etc. Let me try the base kernel first
    and if resources are available, I can attempt to do it on -mm tree.

      Last update: 2005-04-06 13:31    [W:0.022 / U:60.132 seconds]