SubjectRe: [RFC] Some thoughts on device drivers and sysfs
On Sun, 2005-03-27 at 23:08 +0200, Dominik Brodowski wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 02:24:59PM -0500, Adam Belay wrote:
> > One of the original design goals of sysfs was to provide a standardized
> > location to keep driver configuration attributes. Although sysfs
> > handles this very well for bus devices and class devices, there isn't
> > currently a method to export attributes for device drivers and their
> > specific bound device instances to userspace.

You're right, I should have worded this differently.

> Drivers can add (e.g. in ->probe) attributes for devices using
> extern int device_create_file(struct device *device, struct device_attribute
> * entry);
> and delete them (e.g. in ->remove) using
> extern void device_remove_file(struct device * dev, struct device_attribute
> * attr);
>
> and there's also
>
> extern int driver_create_file(struct device_driver *, struct
> driver_attribute *);
> extern void driver_remove_file(struct device_driver *, struct
> driver_attribute *);
>

> Dominik

Yes, I'm aware of these functions but they pollute the bus level
namespace. I'm interested in reactions to this alternative approach. I
wanted to explore the possibility of making a device driver instance a
separate component with its own individual state and relationships.

Adam

  Last update: 2005-04-06 13:31    [W:0.097 / U:1.044 seconds]