SubjectRe: Garbage on serial console after serial driver loads
On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 04:37:29PM +0000, Russell King wrote:
> > But intererstingly, on identical boxes, the garbage only appears on
> > those hooked up to a PortMaster device - those using a Cyclades never
> > display this problem. (???)
>
> Sorry, I don't understand your scenarios. Can you explain the
> circumstances under which you see corruption?
>
> From the kernel messages you've quoted above, I can only think that
> you're not using ttyS0 as the serial console - if you were, my
> understanding of this issue would indicate that you should get the
> garbage immediately after the line starting "Serial:"
>
> Either my understanding of the cause of this problem is wrong, or
> I'm not understanding your setup.

I have a number of PowerEdge 2550 servers. All are setup with serial
console on ttyS0 @ 9600. One group uses a (old) Portmaster device for console
access, the other group uses a Cyclades device. Only those servers
using the Portmaster device exhibit the garbage problem. The Cyclades
group never displays garbage on boot.

Phil

  Last update: 2005-04-06 13:30    [W:0.619 / U:0.232 seconds]