SubjectRe: [RFT, PATCH] sata_sil corruption / lockup fix
> Silicon Image contributed a patch which should help some of the situations
> that users were seeing. If you are having problems with sata_sil, please do
> try out this patch.
>
> I'm concerned that the sata_sil blacklist has been growing beyond the older
> Seagate drives which definitely had buggy firmware; concerned that the
> Mod15Write fix was simply "fixing" the problem addressed by this patch,
> simply by hiding the problem behind slow performance. [note: the only way to
> really know for sure is with ATA bus traces]

Hello, Jeff!

Yes, you are right that the list grew too much.
I, for example, have a sil 3112 controller that made problems (mod15) in
the past (crash on big tranfers). But I upgraded the BIOS (and it shows me
that even sil firmware was updated) and the problem disappeard.

So, I'll be glad to test this patch, but I can't because now it works very
good (I manualy remove the disks from blaklist because they have a match
in the list).

Thanks goes to Silicon Image people that, finally, they release a patch to
fix this problem.

My motherboard is Intel.

Thanks Jeff.

> On platforms where the SiI BIOS isn't executed (non-x86), this patch is
> probably more critical. On x86, it is purported to only be needed on a
> single motherboard.
>
> Test results (to linux-ide@vger.kernel.org) would be appreciated,
> particularly from users with newer Seagate drives.
>
> Finally, there are also a few reports of problems of "screaming interrupts"
> on configurations with SiI 311x + Seagate NCQ drives. This is a separate
> problem, and I haven't looked into it yet.
>
> Jeff

---
Catalin(ux aka Dino) BOIE
catab at deuroconsult.ro
http://kernel.umbrella.ro/

  Last update: 2005-04-06 13:30    [W:0.033 / U:0.100 seconds]