    SubjectRe: [RFC] Obtaining memory information for kexec/kdump
    On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 15:49 +0530, Hariprasad Nellitheertha wrote:
    > Dave Hansen wrote:
    > > I think there's likely a lot of commonality with the needs of memory
    > > hotplug systems here. We effectively dump out the physical layout of
    > > the system, but in sysfs. We do this mostly because any memory hotplug
    > > changes generate hotplug events, just like all other hardware. If you
    > > do this in /proc, it's another thing that memory hotplug will have to
    > > update.
    >
    > We put it in /proc primarily because what we wanted was
    > similar in many ways to /proc/iomem and so we (re)use a bit
    > of the code.

    The code reuse is nice, but the expanded use of /proc is not.

    > Also, we were wondering if it is appropriate to
    > put in multiple values in a single file in sysfs.

    Why would you need to do that?
    > I've attached a document I started writing a couple days ago
    > > about the sysfs layout and the call paths for hotplug. It's horribly
    > > incomplete, but not a bad start.
    > >
    > > If you want to see some more details of the layout, please check out
    > > this patch set:
    > >
    > > http://www.sr71.net/patches/2.6.12/2.6.12-rc1-mhp1/patch-2.6.12-rc1-mhp1.gz
    >
    > This does not have the sysfs related code. Is there a
    > separate patch for adding the sysfs entries?

    Hmmm. I think my rollup script broke. Try this:

    http://www.sr71.net/patches/2.6.12/2.6.12-rc1-mhp1/broken-out/L0-sysfs-memory-class.patch

    > > block_size_bytes: The size of each memory section (in hex)
    >
    > This value is per memoryXXXX directory, right?

    No, it's global. However, we have discussed doing it per-section in the
    future to collapse some of the contiguous areas into a single directory.

    -- Dave

      Last update: 2005-04-06 13:30    [W:0.021 / U:3.616 seconds]