    SubjectRe: help needed pls. scheduler(kernel 2.6) + hyperthreaded related questions?
    few more trivial Q's (bear with me  I'm a newbie to kernel world):

    1) As I said I have a process that spawns 2 threads(thread A and B).I am
    trying to measure the exact time @ which they are being scheduled.For this I
    am using the rdtsc() (when threads A and B come) in enqueue_task()..where
    they are being inserted into the priority array.
    Is this a correct way of measuring?

    2) also in "tgid" the id of my process and each of
    threads hav a unique pid??

    3) I saw frm the kernel docs tht realtime tasks hav priority 0 to 99. So
    using setscheduler means do I have to enforce a priority in one of these
    ranges to make my threads as soft/hard realtime task.

    thanks in advance for your patience.

    >From: Nick Piggin <>
    >To: Arun Srinivas <>
    >Subject: Re: help needed pls. scheduler(kernel 2.6) + hyperthreaded related
    >Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:37:16 +1100
    >Arun Srinivas wrote:
    >>If the SMT (apart from SMP) support is enabled in the .config file, does
    >>the kernel recogonize the 2 logical processor as 2 logical or 2 physical
    >You shouldn't be able to select SMT if SMP is not enabled.
    >If SMT and SMP is selected, then the scheduler will recognise
    >the 2 processors as logical ones.
    >>Also, as the hyperthreaded processor may schedule 2 threads in the 2
    >>logical cpu's, and it may not necessarily be form the same process i.e.,
    >>the 2 thread it schedules may be from the same or from the different
    >>So, is there any way I can tell the scheduler (assuming I make the
    >>scheduler recogonize my 2 threads..i.e., it knows their pid) to schedule
    >>always my 2 threads @ the same time? How do I go abt it?
    >Use sched_setaffinity to force each thread onto the particular
    >CPU. Use sched_setscheduler to acquire a realtime scheduling
    >policy. Then use mutexes to synchronise your threads so they
    >run the desired code segment at the same time.

    Screensavers unlimited! Download

      Last update: 2005-04-06 13:30    [W:0.023 / U:4.604 seconds]