    SubjectRe: Promise SX8 performance issues and CARM_MAX_Q
    Bernard Blackham wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Playing with a recently acquired Promise SX8 card, we've found
    > similar performance results to Matt's post to lkml a few months back
    > at
    > It appears that the driver is only submitting one command at a time
    > per port, which is at least one cause of the slowdowns. By raising
    > CARM_MAX_Q from 1 to 3 in drivers/block/sx8.c (it was 3 in an
    > earlier pre-merge incarnation of carmel.c), we're getting very
    > notable speed improvements, with no side effects just yet.
    > Knowing very little about what this change has actually done, I've a
    > few questions:
    > - Should this be considered dangerous?
    > - Why was it taken from 3 to 1?
    > - Is CARM_MAX_Q a number defined (or limited) by the hardware?

    In multi-port stress tests, we couldn't get SX8 to function reliably
    without locking up or corrupting data, with more than one outstanding

    Maybe a new firmware has solved this by now.

      Last update: 2005-04-06 13:30    [W:0.020 / U:7.184 seconds]