    SubjectRe: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.12-rc1-V0.7.41-07

    * Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:

    > the 'migrate read count' solution seems more promising, as it would
    > keep other parts of the RCU code unchanged. [ But it seems to break
    > the nice 'flip pointers' method you found to force a grace period. If
    > a 'read section' can migrate from one CPU to another then it can
    > migrate back as well, at which point it cannot have the 'old' pointer.
    > Maybe it would still work better than no flip pointers. ]

    the flip pointer method could be made to work if we had a NR_CPUS array
    of 'current RCU pointer' values attached to the task - and that array
    would be cleared if the task exits the read section. But this has memory
    usage worries with large NR_CPUS. (full clearing of the array can be
    avoided by using some sort of 'read section generation' counter attached
    to each pointer)

    Ingo

      Last update: 2005-04-06 13:30    [W:0.023 / U:33.344 seconds]