    SubjectRe: 2.6.11: suspending laptop makes system randomly unstable
    Andrew Morton wrote:

    >Miguelanxo Otero Salgueiro <miguelanxo@telefonica.net> wrote:
    >

    >>I just compiled 2.6.11 from a 2.6.10 configuration for a desktop machine
    >>(with kernel preemption activated).
    >>Doing a make oldconfig bring some new options. I selected the default
    >>value (for my system) for them, so I keep configuring "make great kernel
    >>lock preemtive" to true (complete kernel configuration follows).
    >>
    >>Apart from the ALPS touchpad thing (see "2.6.11: touchpad
    >>unresponsive"), the new kernel keeps:
    >>
    >> - Setting randomly "last battery full charge" to a huge value
    >>(example: 400 Ah when max battery capacity is 38 Ah) so I get random
    >>charging/discharging timing patterns
    >> - Locking "softly" the system: for example, preventing new proceses
    >>from spawning. For example, if I suspend the laptop while in Xwindows,
    >>resuming will keep X but new proceses can't be started. Changing to a
    >>virtual console doesn't get past the login step, as a new shell can't be
    >>started.
    >> - Disabling/enabling double-clicks in the synaptic touchpad. Randomly.
    >>
    >>All of these symthoms are more or less randomly. As far as I can tell,
    >>everything is ok before suspending but does Random Nasty Things(tm)
    >>after coming out from suspension.
    >>
    >>Well, at least system clock works better than in 2.6.10.
    >>
    >>I will try to deactivate the main kernel lock thingie and see if that helps.
    >>

    >You appear to have about five bugs here. Do any of them remain in
    >2.6.12-rc1?

    Well, one thing outstands: the synaptic touchpad is now really
    comfortable to use. Almost everything works, including simple and double
    clicks, and scrolling. Dragging is still broken. I must note I'm now
    using a synaptic Xinput driver, as suggested.

    The system seems much more stable in regard to suspension/resuming. The
    USB subsystem has kept working the first time I suspended and everything
    came back perfect. The second one in a row, the USB subsystem was
    halted, but doing a "modprobe -r uhci_hcd; modprobe uhci_hcd" made my
    USB periferals (keyboard and mouse) work again.

    As for the battery charging pattern, I can't say anything definitive,
    but it looks good ATM.

    No more "Ramdom Nasty Things(tm)", the clock works ok and there are no
    issues with proccess spawning.

    9/10?

      Last update: 2005-04-06 13:30    [W:0.036 / U:29.264 seconds]