SubjectRe: 2.6.11 AC patch CD/DVD issues
On Sul, 2005-03-20 at 15:27, Takis Diakoumis wrote:
> other ata controllers which then report errors as they can't be unloaded
> - though i read somewhere on this list that this was by design???).

IDE is designed to be compiled in. There is a lot to do to fix that. -ac
has hackish unload support in test but the right solution is refcounting
and driver model based and is in Bartlomiej's dev tree.

> all cd ripping/reading tools for audio/multimedia cds report unable to
> initialize /dev/cdrom (a link to cdrom device).

Are you sure it points to the right device. I've seen similar reports
where
/dev/cdrom ended up pointing at the hard disk when the it8212 is added.
Seems
some distributions get confused when an IDE controller decides it wants
to be first.

> mode anyway. no change with either setting. if i disable the controller
> from the bios, all is ok and i have full expected access to both cd and
> dvd drives with all tools/apps etc. enabling again, i lose them beyond
> simple data mounts.

Sounds like the /dev/cdrom link is wrong

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:11    [W:0.897 / U:0.712 seconds]