SubjectRe: 2.6.12-rc1 report
On Monday 21 March 2005 17:34, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> Usually I come looking for a bone when I post here, but today its
>> with verbal flowers in hand.
>>
>> I just built 2.6.12-rc1 and I'm pleased to report that the
>> ieee1394 problems that required the bk-ieee1394.patch previously
>> are apparently alleviated. Kino worked as expected, including the
>> audio from the cameras microphones.
>>
>> tvtime, with my pcHDTV-3000 card, had a miss-cue due to the wrong
>> modprobe statement in my rc.local, so I cleaned out those modules
>> that it had loaded, and reloaded them with the 'modprobe cx88_dvb'
>> statement, which brought that up with working video but raw noise
>> for audio at about +40db! Going into its menu's for tv standards
>> I chose to 'restart with new values' without changing anything
>> which restored the audio to normal. Thats happened before, and
>> Jack tells me there will be another coding session this weekend so
>> there will no doubt be more patches for that. This FWIW, was
>> without actually installing either version of his drivers, so this
>> is nice progress.
>>
>> My scanner works normally. As does the spca5xx stuffs that I did
>> install again after the boot.
>
>What distro are you using with this? Before I report problems I want
> to eliminate distro errors of the type you describe.

FC2, more or less. I've quite a list of stuff thats home built here
though, and xorg-6.8.1 is one of them, the full KDE-3.3.0 for
another, along with virtually anything to do with printing, cups is
1.1.22, gimp-print is now gutenprint-5.0beta2. The list goes on,
usually triggered by whatever itch needs scratched.

That statement in my modprobe.conf that I had to nuke, not mentioned
in this message, may have been a leftover from trying to install the
original, on the cd, drivers. I didn't put it in there, and having
looked at my modprobe.conf fairly often, I don't recall seeing it
till someone asked me to do a general recheck on things in /etc.

The modprobe statement in my rc.local file had been installed to
preload the 1.6 drivers, wrong for the current crop and that was 100%
my doing. You probably wouldn't recognize my rc.local file as
haveing anything to do with redhat or fedora, its been hacked to add
this or that many many times over the years. Mainly to get stuff
going even if I don't log in and start them, Like for instance,
setiathome gets launched in there as does the boinc client, env vars
for heyu, and all my audio stuff gets loaded or started in there.
So I see a lot of stuff go flying by before the login prompt comes up,
another 15 seconds of delay in doing all that I expect.

But nothing that was there originally has been removed either.

Does this answer, or puzzle? Puzzle clues available :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:11    [W:0.035 / U:0.144 seconds]