SubjectRe: Invalidating dentries
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> Hello list,
>

> how can I invalidate all buffered/cached dentries so that ls -l /somefolder
> will definitely go read the harddisk?

fsync() on the file(s) in the directory then fsync() on the directory
itself. For this, one can open the directory as though it was
just a file, you don't need opendir().

FYI, this is what `man fsync` promises. It may be broken. Last
time I checked, one needed to umount() the file-system to make
sure the directories were updated. The problem may be that
somebody can have either the directory or a file within it
open. Until they get out, the directory entry may not actually
be finalized. Oh,... Unix/Linux doesn't have "folders". That's
some M$ thing. Real operating systems have directories. Your
GUI may have folders, just like it may have little houses,
trash-cans, red hats, and other odd widgets. However, the
operating system doesn't.

> Jan Engelhardt
> --

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.11 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:11    [W:0.466 / U:0.164 seconds]