    SubjectRe: dmesg verbosity [was Re: AGP bogosities]
    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Lee Revell wrote:

    > On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 19:12 +0100, Diego Calleja wrote:
    >> Why should people look at all that "horrid" debug info everytime
    >> they boot, except when they have a problem?
    > I'm really not trolling, but I suspect if we made the boot process less
    > verbose, people would start to wonder more about why Linux takes so much
    > longer than XP to boot.

    two things

    1. linux shouldn't take longer to boot then windows (and if properly
    configured it doesn't)

    2. there's a _long_ way between the current situation where a driver can
    spew 500+ lines of logging and there being so little logging that people
    don't know what's going on.

    if you are on a slow console (say a serial console) just letting the boot
    messages scroll by can take quite a while today.

    David Lang

    -- C.A.R. Hoare

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:11    [W:0.019 / U:15.272 seconds]