SubjectRe: dmesg verbosity [was Re: AGP bogosities]
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Lee Revell wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 19:12 +0100, Diego Calleja wrote:
>> Why should people look at all that "horrid" debug info everytime
>> they boot, except when they have a problem?
>
> I'm really not trolling, but I suspect if we made the boot process less
> verbose, people would start to wonder more about why Linux takes so much
> longer than XP to boot.

two things

1. linux shouldn't take longer to boot then windows (and if properly
configured it doesn't)

2. there's a _long_ way between the current situation where a driver can
spew 500+ lines of logging and there being so little logging that people
don't know what's going on.

if you are on a slow console (say a serial console) just letting the boot
messages scroll by can take quite a while today.

David Lang

-- C.A.R. Hoare

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans