    SubjectRe: forkbombing Linux distributions

    William> Sure enough, I created the following script and ran it as a
    William> non-root user:

    William> #!/bin/bash $0 & $0 &

    There are two approaches to fixing this.
    1. Rate limit fork(). Unfortunately some legitimate usges do a lot
    of forking, and you don't really want to slow them down.
    2. Limit (per user) the number of processes allowed. This is what's
    currently done; and if you as administrator want to you can set
    RLIMIT_NPROC in /etc/security/limits.conf

    On an almost-single-user system such as most desktops, there isn't much
    point in setting this. On shared systems, it can be useful.

    Dr Peter Chubb peterc AT
    The technical we do immediately, the political takes *forever*

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:11    [W:0.030 / U:245.360 seconds]