    SubjectRe: forkbombing Linux distributions

    William> Sure enough, I created the following script and ran it as a
    William> non-root user:

    William> #!/bin/bash $0 & $0 &

    There are two approaches to fixing this.
    1. Rate limit fork(). Unfortunately some legitimate usges do a lot
    of forking, and you don't really want to slow them down.
    2. Limit (per user) the number of processes allowed. This is what's
    currently done; and if you as administrator want to you can set
    RLIMIT_NPROC in /etc/security/limits.conf

    On an almost-single-user system such as most desktops, there isn't much
    point in setting this. On shared systems, it can be useful.

    --
    Dr Peter Chubb http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
    The technical we do immediately, the political takes *forever*