SubjectUSB mouse hiccups (was RFD: Kernel release numbering)
-blather-
It took a few days before I actually saw this posting. I also agree that
2.6.10 seems to be more stable than 2.6.11 - mind you, that could be
because I'm using 2.6.10-linus (i.e. the tarball from the linux.org site)
and the 2.6.11 is a Mandrake-ised kernel + Linus patches - at least I
*think* they're Linus' patches - no Visual Basic in them yet.
I've also noted .10 is quicker off the blocks than 2.6.11 seems to be.

-meat-
I did note something strange. I'm running 2.6.11.2 at this moment, when I
tried 2.6.11.3, my USB Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse stopped moving
from left to right, and would only move up and down if I physically moved
the mouse from left to right. I didn't see anything in the patches that
touched anything in the event handling, so frankly I'm puzzled.
Any clues as to where I need to look? I've seen this problem before, but
don't know what causes it, nor how I fixed it at the time.
Also, how do I get that patch that enables the tiltwheel (left-right
events)?

-blather-
I'll try out .5 once I fetch the patch and spend another three hours on my
cluster, compiling. Again. The reason I haven't dipped into real testing
of kernels was precisely for this reason, that I didn't want to have to
spend absolutely ages waiting for a compile. However, I've finally decided
to dip my toes back in the water, with the 2.6.11 series...

Love the Suspend-to-disk... only wish I could load a saved image into a
later kernel, though I understand why this can't be done. That would be my
current "killer app".

'Nuff mumbling.

CC if you wish, but I ought to be watching the list again for this one.

--
/| _,.:*^*:., |\ Cheers from the Viking family, including Pippin, our cat
| |_/' viking@ `\_| |
| flying-brick | $FunnyMail : What do you mean, I've lost the plot?
\_.caverock.net.nz_/ 5.40 : I planted them carrots right here!!