On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 23:46:22 -0500
Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com> wrote:

> If Linus/DaveM really don't like -pre/-rc naming, I think 2.6.x.y is
> preferable to even/odd.

All of these arguments are circular. If people think that even/odd
will devalue odd releases, guess what 2.6.x.y will do? By that line
of reasoning nobody will test 2.6.x just the same as they aren't
testing 2.6.x-rc* right now.

I think they will test the odd releases, because as a real release
they will get slashdot/lwn.net/etc. announcements.

That's one of the major things the -rc's don't get. Maybe it gets
a reference in lwn.net's weekly kernel article, but mostly kernel
geeks read those and that's not who we want testing -rc's (such
geeks already are doing so).

It has to be a "real" release. That does have an impact. However,
I am ambivalent about how to make them real. Even/odd, 2.6.x.y,
either is fine with me.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans