David S. Miller wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 22:40:57 -0500
> Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com> wrote:
>

>>People don't test 2.6-rc releases because they know they are not
>>"release candidate, with only bug fixes" releases, which is how the rest
>>of the world interprets the phrase.
>

> That's not %100 true. No matter what -rc* really is, people perceive
> it to be something based upon it's name and whether or not it is an
> official release. As far as I can see it's %95 perception vs. reality.
> And IT IS part of the reason the -rc's are not as good as they could be.

The reasons -rcs are not as good as they could be is that they include
more than just bug fixes. Users are discouraged from testing because
they must scan LKML, or guess, which -rc that Linus/Andrew started
getting serious about "bugfixes only."

With the -pre/-rc scheme, it's clear to users.

With the even/odd scheme, you just devalue releases. Previously, all
releases were worthy of testing and use. Now, half of them aren't.

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.227 / U:0.040 seconds]