SubjectRe: Relayfs question
Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> according to the relayfs description on opersys.com,
>
> |As the Linux kernel matures, there is an ever increasing number of facilities
> |and tools that need to relay large amounts of data from kernel space to user
> |space. Up to this point, each of these has had its own mechanism for relaying
> |data. To supersede the individual mechanisms, we introduce the "high-speed
> |data relay filesystem" (relayfs). As such, things like LTT, printk, EVLog,
> |etc.
>
> This sounds to me like it would obsolete most character-based devices, e.g.
> random and urandom.
>
> What do the relayfs developers say to this?

I'm not a relayfs developer, just a happy user...

The latest relayfs versions are slimmed down of the original and are
unlikely to be useful as a character-based device, but are much better
as a data-transport facility.

There is no longer any interface for character based reading so it can't
be used for the device replace purposes.

The current method is to just manage buffers and enable applications to
mmap the buffers to read them with some signalling on when a buffer is
to be read and when the kernel can overwrite it.

A character device is unlikely to need such interface since you do want
16 bytes of random data and not several pages of mapped random numbers.
If you really need a lot of random numbers you need something in
user-space anyway since you'll deplete the kernel entropy pool pretty
fast anyway.

If you have a device that needs to transfer lots of data doesn't mind it
being batched and doesn't really need the character device interface
then relayfs could be useful.

Baruch

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:11    [W:0.072 / U:0.024 seconds]