    SubjectRe: 2.6.11-mm4
    Date
    On Thursday 17 March 2005 14:41, Barry K. Nathan wrote:
    > On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 12:07:55PM +0100, Borislav Petkov wrote:
    > > Hi again,
    > >
    > > since I don't have a 9-pin serial port on my laptop I've been trying to
    > > connect it with the testing machine over a 25-pin cable (on a 25-pin
    > > port), which, according to the Serial-HOWTO is doable in theory but
    > > doesn't seem that easy to do in practice. Setserial reports that the
    > > ports are ok:
    >
    > On laptops, 25-pin ports tend to be parallel, rather than serial. At
    > least, that's my experience.
    And this is the truth, actually. It is :( a parallel port.

    > [snip]
    >
    > > but minicom or other serial line communication utils do not send or
    > > receive any chars. Any ideas?
    >
    > Hook a printer up to the 25-pin port (the other end of the cable will
    > most likely have 36 pins), then use (I think, it's been a while)
    > /dev/lp0 as your console device, rather than /dev/ttyS#. This assumes
    > that your kernel has parallel console support compiled in, and that
    > the parallel port support is compiled in (as opposed to being a module).
    >
    > And if you do the above, make sure to have lots of paper handy. Also,
    > this trick probably won't work with all printers, but it stands a good
    > chance of working.
    This is an option but I don't have a printer right now so I think I'll go with
    another idea a guy gave me on our laptop forum - USB to serial adapter, it is
    relatively cheap (~20€ in Germany) and trivial to install. Still, thanks for
    your help, I'll be reporting as soon as I get the gadget.

    Boris.

    > -Barry K. Nathan <barryn@pobox.com>
    > -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:11    [W:0.022 / U:1.812 seconds]