    SubjectRe: huge filesystems

    I am running the DSFS file system as a 7 TB file system on 2.6.9. There
    are a host
    of problems with the current VFS, ad I have gotten around most of them
    by **NOT** using the linux page cache interface. The VFS I am using
    creates a virtual represeation of the files and it's own cache. You need
    a lot of memory - 2GB roughly. The only way to do it at present is to
    use the address patch that reserves 1GB for user address space and
    leaves 3GB of space
    in kernel in order to create the caches.

    You also need to ignore the broken fdisk partitioning tools. Just create
    one partition if you
    create disks larger than 2 TB with 3Ware, and ignore the values in the
    table. I check for a single partition on these devices and rely on the
    capacity parameter reported from the
    bdev handle and just use the extra space.

    Linux proper has a long way to go on this topic, but it is possible I am
    doing this today
    on 2.6.9.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:11    [W:0.019 / U:17.920 seconds]