SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE 0/6] Open-iSCSI High-Performance Initiator for Linux
On Sat, 2005-03-12 at 11:55 -0500, Dave Wysochanski wrote:
> Alex Aizman wrote:
>

> > This is to announce Open-iSCSI project: High-Performance iSCSI
> > Initiator for
> > Linux.
> >
> > MOTIVATION
> > ==========
> >
> > Our initial motivations for the project were: (1) implement the right
> > user/kernel split, and (2) design iSCSI data path for performance.
> > Recently
> > we added (3): get accepted into the mainline kernel.
> >
> > As far as user/kernel, the existing iSCSI initiators bloat the kernel
> > with
> > ever-growing control plane code, including but not limited to: iSCSI
> > discovery, Login (Authentication and Operational), session and connection
> > management, connection-level error processing, iSCSI Text, Nop-Out/In,
> > Async
> > Message, iSNS, SLP, Radius... Open-iSCSI puts the entire control plane in
> > the user space. This control plane talks to the data plane via well
> > defined
> > interface over the netlink transport.
> >
> > (Side note: prior to closing on the netlink we considered: sysfs,
> > ioctl, and
> > syscall. Because the entire control plane logic resides in the user
> > space,
> > we needed a real bi-directional transport that could support asynchronous
> > API to transfer iSCSI control PDUs: Login, Logout, Nop-in, Nop-Out, Text,
> > Async Message.
> >
> > Performance.
> > This is the major goal and motivation for this project. As it happens,
> > iSCSI
> > has to compete with Fibre Channel, which is a more entrenched
> > technology in
> > the storage space. In addition, the "soft" iSCSI implementation have
> > to show
> > good results in presence of specialized hardware offloads.
> >
> > Our today's performance numbers are:
> >
> > - 450MB/sec Read on a single connection (2-way 2.4Ghz Opteron, 64KB block
> > size);
> >
> > - 320MB/sec Write on a single connection (2-way 2.4Ghz Opteron, 64KB
> > block
> > size);
> >
> > - 50,000 Read IOPS on a single connection (2-way 2.4Ghz Opteron, 4KB
> > block
> > size).
> >
> Has anyone on the list verified these #'s?

as far I know, no one tried that but me. We've used disktest with
O_DIRECT flag set on 10Gbps network with jumbo frames enabled and big
big big TCP window & socket buffer. I really would like to see that this
number gets reproduced not on my setup only.

> I'm trying to
> get open-iscsi to work but it looks like it's got a problem
> in the very initial stages of lun scanning that prevents
> my target from working. Open-iscsi guys I have a trace
> if you want to look at it. Looks like despite the fact that
> report luns is returned successfully and only 1 lun is
> returned (lun 0), the initiator is still sending inquiry
> commands to luns > 0, and it looks like it gets confused
> when it gets a 0x3f inquiry response from the target
> (for an inquiry to lun 1), tries to issue a TMF abort
> task on the previous inquiry which has already completed,
> and the target responds with "task not in task set", which
> is understandable since the command has already completed.
> I used the latest .169 code.

its too old anyways. try subversion's repository. but I doubt it will
help in your case.

> I don't see this problem with the latest linux-iscsi.sfnet
> code and have interoperated with many other initiators,
> so I'm fairly confident there's a bug in open-iscsi somewhere.

i'm pretty sure it is a bug in open-iscsi. which target are you using?
can we get remote access?

> [...]
> >
> > Code is available online via either Subversion source control database or
> > the latest development release (i.e., the tarball containing Open-iSCSI
> > sources, including user space, that will build and run on kernels
> > starting
> > 2.6.10).
> >
> > http://www.open-iscsi.org
> >
> > Features:
> >
> > - highly optimized and small-footprint data path;
> > - multiple outstanding R2Ts;
> > - thread-less receive;
> > - sendpage() based transmit;
> > - zero-copy header processing on receive;
> > - no data path memory allocations at runtime;
> > - persistent configuration database;
> > - SendTargets discovery;
> > - CHAP;
> > - DataSequenceInOrder=No;
> > - PDU header Digest;
> > - multiple sessions;
> > - MC/S (note: disabled in the patch);
> > - SCSI-level recovery via Abort Task and session re-open.
> >

> > TODO
> > ====
> >
> > The near term plan is: test, test, and test. We need to stabilize the
> > existing code, after 5 months of development this seems to be the right
> > thing to do.
> >
> > Other short-term plans include:
> >
> > a) process community feedback, implement comments and apply patches;
> > b) cleanup user side of the iSCSI open interface; use API calls
> > (instead of
> > directly constructing events);
> > c) eliminate runtime control path memory allocations (for Nop-In,
> > Nop-Out,
> > etc.);
> > d) implement Write path optimizations (delayed because of the
> > self-imposed
> > submission deadline);
> > e) oProfile the data path, use the reports for further optimization;
> > f) complete the readme.
> >
> > Comments, code reviews, patches - are greatly appreciated!
> >

> > THANKS
> > ======
> >
> > Special thanks to our first reviewers: Christoph Hellwig and Mike
> > Christie.
> >
> > Special thanks to Ming Zhang for help in testing and for insightful
> > questions.
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Alex Aizman & Dmitry Yusupov

> > The following 6 patches alltogether represent the Open-iSCSI Initiator:
> >
> > Patch 1:
> > SCSI LLDD consists of 3 files:
> > - iscsi_if.c (iSCSI open interface over netlink);
> > - iscsi_tcp.[ch] (iSCSI transport over TCP/IP).
> >
> > Patch 2:
> > Common header files:
> > - iscsi_if.h (iSCSI open interface over netlink);
> > - iscsi_proto.h (RFC3720 #defines and types);
> > - iscsi_ifev.h (user/kernel events).
> >
> > Patch 3:
> > drivers/scsi/Kconfig changes.
> >
> > Patch 4:
> > drivers/scsi/Makefile changes.
> >
> > Patch 5:
> > include/linux/netlink.h changes (added new protocol NETLINK_ISCSI)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:11    [W:0.030 / U:0.224 seconds]