    SubjectRe: re-inline sched functions
    Andrew Morton wrote:

    >"Chen, Kenneth W" <kenneth.w.chen@intel.com> wrote:
    >
    >>This could be part of the unknown 2% performance regression with
    >>db transaction processing benchmark.
    >>
    >>The four functions in the following patch use to be inline. They
    >>are un-inlined since 2.6.7.
    >>
    >>We measured that by re-inline them back on 2.6.9, it improves performance
    >>for db transaction processing benchmark, +0.2% (on real hardware :-)

    Can you also inline requeue_task? No performance gain expected, but
    it is just a simple wrapper around a list function.

    >>The cost is certainly larger kernel size, cost 928 bytes on x86, and
    >>2728 bytes on ia64. But certainly worth the money for enterprise
    >>customer since they improve performance on enterprise workload.
    >>

    >Less that 1k on x86 versus >2k on ia64. No wonder those things have such
    >big caches ;)

    >>Possible we can introduce them back?
    >>

    >OK by me.

    What happens if you leave task_timeslice out of line? It isn't exactly
    huge, but it is called from a handful of places.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:11    [W:0.022 / U:35.896 seconds]