SubjectRe: Bootsplash for 2.6.11-rc4
On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 08:41:23PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:

Hi,

> [aj added to the list].
>
> Andreas, who is the person to talk about this? I like redhat's
> solution the best. Pass "quiet", perhaps replace penguin with some big
> picture including penguin and chameleon or something, and do the
> interesting work in userspace...
>
> That's the best solution, technically... Perhaps it is even acceptable
> politically?

And that's exactly how it will be done in fbsplash, as soon as I move
the rest of the 'silent'-handling code to the userspace. Fbsplash will
call a userspace helper as soon as fbcon is initialized. The helper can
be used put the console into KD_GRAPHICS mode and paint a full-screen
picture to cover any text messages. Progress bars and other fancy stuff
will be handled after init, by 100% userspace code (it's done that way
even with the current version of fbsplash).

Live long and prosper.
--
Michal 'Spock' Januszewski Gentoo Linux Developer
cell: +48504917690 http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.059 / U:0.180 seconds]