SubjectRe: 2.6.11-rc5
Date
hi benjamin

now i had some spare time to do some investigation

booting the 2.6.11-rc5 with radeonfb.default_dynclk=0 or with -1
brings up a framebuffer console. everything is fine.
starting xorg-x11 with Ati binary only drivers just brings up a black screen
without a mouse cursor and freezes the hole machine. even network ect.
is no more reachable from outside the machine. worst thing out of that
a tail on the log files (on another machine) does immediately stop - also no
output is written to syslog :/

next scenario - test 2.6.11-rc5 with radeonfb.default_dynclock=0 and -1
starting xorg-x11 with Xorg Radeon driver.
a grey screen comes up - mouse cursor is visible and also able to move for
5 - 8 seconds after screen display - then freezes the whole machine again.

regards
marcel

On Saturday 26 February 2005 01:50, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 14:30 +0100, Mws wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > i also have problems with 2.6.11-rc5 and radeon:
> >
> > i am using a ATI Radeon X600 PciExpress.
> >
> > a) now the console framebuffer seems to bee working, thx benjamin :)
> > b) when bootup seq ist completed and i want to start X (xorg-x11) with ati-drivers
> > x is freezing - not your problem, but the console is not correctly restored :/ the only way
> > out is to reset the machine :/
> > 2.6.11-rc3 was running fine in this case
>
> Hrm, the binary drivers ? oh well... some users had them freezing vs.
> radeonfb before and not now. I don't know what they do and don't have
> access to a machine with them (there are no ppc versions) so it will be
> difficult to track. I suspect they completely reconfigure the chip and
> don't restore it properly tho.

> What exactly is happening. Does X launches at all ? When does it
> freeze ? On X launch or when exiting it ? Have you tried disabling
> dynamic clock tweaking ? (radeonfb.default_dynclk=-1 or 0 on the
> cmdline, first one means "don't touch the registers", secoond one means
> "disable dynamic clocks").

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.095 / U:0.168 seconds]