    SubjectRe: x86_64: 32bit emulation problems
    Date
    Hello Andi,

    sorry, due to some mail sending/refusing problems, I had to resend to the
    nfs-list, which prevented the answers there to be posted to the other CCs.

    > It is most likely some kind of user space problem. I would change
    > it to int err = stat(dir, &buf);
    > and then go through it with gdb and see what value err gets assigned.
    >
    > I cannot see any kernel problem.

    The err value will become -1 here.

    Trond Myklebust already suggested to look at the results of errno:

    On Tuesday 01 March 2005 00:43, Bernd Schubert wrote:
    > On Monday 28 February 2005 23:26, you wrote:
    > > Given that strace shows that both syscalls (stat64() and stat())
    > > succeed, I expect the "problem" is probably just glibc setting an
    > > EOVERFLOW error in the 32-bit case. That's what it is supposed to do if
    > > a 64 bit value overflows the 32-bit buffers.
    >
    > Right, thanks.
    >
    > > Have you tried looking at errno?
    >
    > bernd@hitchcock tests>./test_stat32 /mnt/test/yp
    > stat for /mnt/test/yp failed
    > ernno: 75 (Value too large for defined data type)
    >
    > But why does stat64() on a 64-bit kernel tries to fill in larger data than
    > on a 32-bit kernel and larger data also only for nfs-mount points? Hmm, I
    > will tomorrow compare the tcp-packges sent by the server.

    So I still think thats a kernel bug.

    Thanks,
    Bernd

    --
    Bernd Schubert
    Physikalisch Chemisches Institut / Theoretische Chemie