SubjectRe: 2.6.11-rc4-mm1: something is wrong with swsusp powerdown
Pavel Machek <pavel@suse.cz> writes:

> > I threw it together to test a specific code path, and the fact it
> > fails in software suspend is actually almost confirmation that I am on
> > the right track. This actually fixed the case I was testing.
> >
> > In this case the failure is simply because system_state is
> > not set to SYSTEM_POWER_OFF before
> > kernel/power/disk.c:power_down() calls device_shutdown().
> > The appropriate reboot notifier is also not called..
>
> Can you suggest patch to do it right? Or perhaps there should be
> just_plain_power_machine_down() that does all neccessary
> trickery?

I would call it kernel_power_down() and that
is what I am suggesting is the right fix.

We have it open coded in kernel/sys.c:sys_reboot()
in the switch case for: LINUX_REBOOT_CMD_POWER_OFF

So after the code gets factored out from there all
of the cases that call machine_power_off() and pm_power_off()
directly need to be updated.

There are similar cases for machine_restart() and machine_halt().
But the power off case seems to be the most acute.

My biggest problem with this is I get into the recursive code
cleanup problem. Where I fix one piece and a bug is exposed somewhere
else. And that then requires investigation and fixing.

Fixing the callers of machine_power_off() is about the fifth bug
fix down the chain triggered by disabling UP interrupts in
device_shutdown(), SMP interrupts have always been disabled. With the
first bug fix was to create system devices in the device tree..

I haven't a clue where fixing this one will lead. Recursive
code fixes are a hard thing to schedule :(

Eric

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans