    SubjectRe: [patch, 2.6.11-rc2] sched: RLIMIT_RT_CPU_RATIO feature
    Peter Williams <pwil3058@bigpond.net.au> writes:

    > Paul Davis wrote:
    >> There are several kernel-side attributes that would make JACK better
    >> from my perspective:
    >> * better ways to acquire and release RT scheduling
    >
    > I'm no expert on the topic but it would seem to me that the mechanisms
    > associated with the capable() function are intended to provide a
    > consistent and extensible interface to the control of privileged
    > operations with possible finer grained control than "root 'yes' and
    > everybody else 'no'". Maybe the way to solve this problem is to
    > modify the interpretation of capable(CAP_SYS_NICE) so that it returns
    > true when invoked by a task setuid to a nominated uid in addition to
    > zero?

    That is essentially what the RT-LSM does. At exec() time RT-LSM turns
    on CAP_SYS_NICE for appropriate process images.

    In the current implementation this is only done per-group not
    per-user. Adding UID as well as GID granularity should be easy. We
    didn't do it because we didn't really need it. If there's a use for
    it, I have no objection to adding it. It could even compatibly be
    added later.

    Many distributions require users to join group `audio' anyway to gain
    access to the sound card. We found it convenient to piggy-back on
    that mechanism.

    I believe Paul considers this adequate for his requirements. :-)
    --
    joq