    SubjectRe: [-mm patch] seccomp: don't say it was more or less mandatory
    On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 11:41:34PM +0100, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

    > Hello Adrian,

    Hi Andrea,

    > On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 10:51:36PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
    > > seccomp might be a nice feature under some circumstances.
    > > But the suggestion in the help text is IMHO too strong and therefore
    > > removed by this patch.
    > Why too strong? The reason there is a config option is for the embedded
    > space, where clearly they want to compile into the kernel only the
    > strict features they use.
    > There are no risks in enabling seccomp and the size of the kernel image
    > won't change in any significant way either.
    > So I'd prefer to keep the "If unsure, say Y." and it seems appropriate
    > to me.
    > You have to say Y, if later on you want to sell your CPU resources with
    > Cpushare. BTW, you can already test it if you download version 0.8 of
    > the LGPL'd Cpushare software, it'll connect to the server and it'll
    > execute a remote seccomp computation and then it'll hang around until
    > you stop it with ./ (and you will see your client
    > connected in the homepage stats). I didn't finish writing all the code
    > yet but it's already a decent demo for the seccomp part at least.

    this sounds more like an "If unsure, say N.":
    You don't need this feature unless you know you need it.

    It's not about risk or the actual size of the code - there are many
    small or big features in the kernel that might be useful under some
    circumstances, but even the IPv6 help text still suggests to say N
    to IPv6.

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.021 / U:98.596 seconds]