    SubjectRe: Help enabling PCI interrupts on Dell/SMP and Sun/SMP systems.
    On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Alan Kilian wrote:

    call pci_enable_device(dev)
    ... before you use the IRQ in dev->irq.

    The reported IRQ is bogus until you make that
    call. It's a reported BUG, probably won't
    ever get fixed because it's considered a

    Also, make sure that your .config for the Dell looks
    something like:

    # CONFIG_PCI_GOBIOS is not set
    # CONFIG_PCI_GODIRECT is not set

    > Folks,
    > This group was instrumental in helping me get my first-ever
    > linux/PCI-bus device driver working last year, and I'm back for
    > some more help if you are willing.
    > I have a PCI card that generates an interrupt when it completes
    > a DMA transfer to the PCs RAM.
    > This works just fine on a Dell 4400 running 2.6.10-1.766_FC3
    > When I try to run the driver on a Dell 2300 FC2/2.6.5-1.358smp
    > or a Sun W2100Z running FC2/2.6.10-1.14_FC2smp I can see the
    > DMA-done bit set in the device, but my interrupt service routine
    > never gets called.
    > On the Sun, I booted with "noapic" option, and it booted OK,
    > but then when my device generated an interrupt, there was a
    > kernel message about Disabling IRQ #5 and the system was hung
    > solidly.
    > I think this has something to do with the different interrupt
    > hardware on the more advanced servers compared to my desktop
    > Dell 4400, and I somehow need to "enable" the IOAPIC system
    > so that my interrupt gets through to my service routine, but I
    > don't know how.
    > I tried grepping through the kernel/drivers source, and I didn't
    > find anything that jumped out at me.
    > The Rubini drivers book didn't help in this area either,
    > although it's a wonderful book in other areas.
    > I can post source somewhere if it will help.
    > I can also post the essential bits from /var/log/messages about
    > all the incredibly complicated IOAPIC configuration stuff.
    > Thank you for your past help, and thank you in advance for any
    > tips you can provide.
    > -Alan
    > --
    > - Alan Kilian <kilian(at)>

    Dick Johnson
    Penguin : Linux version 2.6.10 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
    98.36% of all statistics are fiction.