SubjectRe: [RFC 2.6.11-rc2-mm2 0/7] mm: manual page migration -- overview II
> >Perhaps node masks would be better and teaching the kernel to handle
> >relative distances inside the masks transparently while migrating?
> >Not sure how complicated this would be to implement though.
> >
> >Supporting interleaving on the new nodes may be also useful, that would
> >need a policy argument at least too and masks.
> >

> The worry I have about using node masks is that it is not as general as
> old_node,new_node mappings (or preferably, the original proposal I made
> of old_node_list, new_node_list). One can't differentiate between the

I agree that the node arrays are better for this case.

> >>and the majority of the memory is shared, then we only need to make
> >>one system call and one page table scan. (We just "migrate" the
> >>shared object once.) So the time to do the page table scans disappears
> >

> >I don't like this because it makes it much more complicated
> >to use for user space. And you can set separate policies for
> >shared objects anyways.
>
> Yes, but only programs that care have to use the va_start and
> va_end. Programs who want to move everything can specify
> 0 and MAX_INT there and they are done.

I still think it's fundamentally unclean and racy. External processes
shouldn't mess with virtual addresses of other processes.

> >-Andi
>
> But we are least at the level of agreeing that the new system
> call looks something like the following:
>
> migrate_pages(pid, count, old_list, new_list);
>
> right?

For the external case probably yes. For internal (process does this
on its own address space) it should be hooked into mbind() too.

-Andi

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.114 / U:0.236 seconds]