SubjectRe: Please open sysfs symbols to proprietary modules
On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 16:30 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 07:07:21PM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:

> > >Ick, no!
> > >
> > >Please consult with a lawyer before trying this. I know a lot of them
> > >consider doing this just as forbidden as marking your module
> > >MODULE_LICENSE("GPL"); when it really isn't.
> >
> > There will be a GPL'd layer, and it's likely that sysfs interaction will
> > be on the GPL'd side anyway, for purely technical reasons. But it does
> > feel like circumvention of the limitations set in the kernel.
>
> It is. And as such, it is not allowed.
[snip]

So, what's the magic amount of redirection and abstraction that cleanses
the GPLness, hmm? Who gets to wave the magic wand to say what
interfaces are GPL-to-non-GPL and which aren't?

For example, the IDE drivers use GPL symbols but the VFS does not. So
anyone can write a proprietary filesystem which eventually gets around
to driving the IDE layer. That is okay, but this isn't?

If the trend of making everything _GPL continues, I don't see any choice
for binary module vendors but to join together to develop a stable
driver API and build it as a GPL/BSD module. Do the same API for BSD
systems to prove modules using it are not GPL derived. Watch Greg foam.
It'd be fun.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx@acm.org>

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.093 / U:0.384 seconds]