SubjectRe: workqueue - process context
Date
On Saturday 19 February 2005 04:57 am, you wrote:
> Vicente> I've been playing with workqueues, and I've found that
> Vicente> once I unload the module, if I don't call
> Vicente> destroy_workqueue(); then the workqueue I've created
> Vicente> stays in the process list, [my_wq], I don't know if
> Vicente> that's meant to be, or is it a bug, cause I believe there
> Vicente> can be two options in here:
>
> Vicente> 1) It's meant to be so you can unload your module and let
> Vicente> the works run some time after you're already gone, that
> Vicente> allows you to probe other modules or do whatever necesary
> Vicente> without the need to wait for the workqueue to be emtpy.
>
> Vicente> 2) It's a bug, cause the module allows to be unloaded,
> Vicente> destroying the structs but not removing the workqueue
> Vicente> from the process context.
>
> Not destroying its workqueue is a bug in the module just like any
> other resource leak. It's analogous to a module allocating some
> memory with kmalloc() and not calling kfree() when it's unloaded. If
> a module creates a workqueue, then it should call destroy_workqueue()
> when it's unloaded.
What if I need the module to be unloaded cause It's mutually exclusive with
another module to be loaded, and I still need to run the works in a workqueue
time before that happens? That's completely out of the picture?cause that
might be useful.

> By the way, the module (or any code calling destroy_workqueue()) must
> make sure that it has race conditions that might result in work being
> submitted to the queue while it is being destroyed.
yes, I think flushing is enough, is it?

> -R .
Vicente.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.039 / U:0.072 seconds]