SubjectRe: [Linux-fbdev-devel] Re: Hotplug blacklist and video devices
On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 16:14 -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:08:22 -0500, Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> wrote:
> > Under Fedora (and RHEL), they're there because we generally
> > don't want to load them unless the user asked for them.
>
> Is there a specific reason why they are blocked?

One reaseon might be that the framebuffer devices can cause problems,
e.g. with proprietary X drivers.

> For example I'm looking at making changes to DRM such that DRM will
> require the corresponding framebuffer driver to be loaded.

Ignoring my suspicion that people won't like stuff getting forced down
their throats like this (why would a DRM _require_ a framebuffer
device?), does the hotplug blacklisting of the framebuffer devices
matter at all if the DRM depends on them, i.e. won't they be loaded
regardless when the DRM is loaded?

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer | Debian (powerpc), X and DRI developer
Libre software enthusiast | http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=daenzer