    SubjectRe: -rc3 leaking NOT BIO [Was: Memory leak in 2.6.11-rc1?]

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Parag Warudkar wrote:

    > A question - is it safe to assume it is a kmalloc based leak? (I am thinking
    > of tracking it down by using kprobes to insert a probe into __kmalloc and
    > record the stack to see what is causing so many allocations.)

    It's definitely kmalloc-based, but you may not catch it in __kmalloc. The
    "kmalloc()" function is actually an inline function which has some magic
    compile-time code that statically determines when the size is constant and
    can be turned into a direct call to "kmem_cache_alloc()" with the proper
    cache descriptor.

    So you'd need to either instrument kmem_cache_alloc() (and trigger on the
    proper slab descriptor) or you would need to modify the kmalloc()
    definition in <linux/slab.h> to not do the constant size optimization, at
    which point you can instrument just __kmalloc() and avoid some of the
    overhead.

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.020 / U:58.584 seconds]