SubjectRe: ide-scsi is deprecated for cd burning! Use ide-cd and give dev=/dev/hdX as device
Hi Alan,

On Feb 15 at 05:02:35, Alan Cox wrote:
> > burning CDs. Just use the ide-cd driver (module) and
> > specify the CD burner device as /dev/hdX.
> This information is unfortunately *WRONG*. The base 2.6 ide-cd driver is
> vastly inferior to ide-scsi. The ide-scsi layer knows about proper error
> reporting, end of media and other things that ide-cd does not.
> The -ac ide-cd knows some of the stuff that ide-cd needs to and works
> with various drive/disk combinations the base code doesn't but ide-scsi
> still handles CD's better.

Is going to be merged soon to the mainline 2.6 kernel? I guess this
bad error handling from ide-cd has something to do with recent messages
about kernel hanging with bad dvd media.

David Gómez Jabber ID: