    SubjectRe: [OT] speeding boot process (was Re: [ANNOUNCE] hotplug-ng 001 release)
    Hi.

    On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 17:15, Jim Crilly wrote:
    > Nigel Cunningham said the following:
    > > You warmed my heart until...
    >
    > Good to know someone reads my email =)
    >
    > > Why not? :> I guess you mean to the problem of slow booting in the first
    > > place - I would agree with you there, but is there are reason why we
    > > should have booting being the norm instead of normally suspending and
    > > resuming, and only rebooting for new kernels/hardware/etc.
    >
    > Don't get me wrong, I would go nuts without swsusp2 on my notebook and I don't
    > see why that shouldn't be a valid avenue to pursue; even for servers it doesn't
    > seem like a terribly bad idea. But for me it only works on 1 out of my 4
    > machines. The 3 non-working machines have their root and swap on SCSI devices
    > and to top it off 2 of them are non-x86 architectures.

    Okay. So it's a lack of hardware support then. I need to bug people to
    get SCSI PM support working, and to lend me non-x86 and x86-64 some more
    :>

    > Another issue would be dual-booting, which a lot of people still do for some
    > strange reason. At least I had noticed that Windows tends to have problems when
    > filesystems it had mounted before the hibernation are altered while it's not
    > running. I'm not sure if similar issues would apply to Linux, hell I'm not even
    > sure if it still applies to Windows because that was so long ago that I had
    > noticed.

    Suspend certainly doesn't like filesystems being mounted under it - it
    writes the image without remounting ro or unmounting. I think I saw a
    patch Tim had that remounted ro, but you still have to be careful as the
    saved memory contains a picture of the state of superblocks and so on.

    Regards,

    Nigel

    --
    Nigel Cunningham
    Software Engineer, Canberra, Australia

    Ph: +61 (2) 6292 8028 Mob: +61 (417) 100 574