SubjectRe: [RFC 2.6.11-rc2-mm2 0/7] mm: manual page migration -- overview
Andi Kleen wrote:

>>For our use, the batch scheduler will give an intermediary program a
>>list of processes and a series of from-to node pairs. That process would
>>then ensure all the processes are stopped, scan their VMAs to determine
>>what regions are mapped by more than one process, which are mapped
>>by additional processes not in the job, and make this system call for
>>each of the unique ranges in the job to migrate their pages from one
>>node to the next. I believe Ray is working on a library and a standalone
>>program to do this from a command line.
>>

>Sounds quite ugly.
>
>Do you have evidence that this is a common use case? (jobs having stuff
>mapped from programs not in the job). If not I think it's better
>to go with a simple interface, not one that is unusable without
>a complex user space library.
>
>If you mean glibc etc. only then the best solution for that would be probably
>to use the (currently unmerged) arbitary file mempolicy code for this and set
> a suitable attribute that prevents moving.

Hi Andi, Ray, et.al.,

Just want to let you know that I'm still planning to push
my patches to NUMA mempolicy for filemap support and
page migration. I've been swamped with another task at work,
but later this week I will post the latest patches for review.
I haven't been following Ray's manual page migration thread
but will get up-to-speed also, and see how it impacts my patchset
to mempolicy.

Steve

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.166 / U:0.036 seconds]