    Subject[BK] upgrade will be needed
    From
    This is a heads up that the BK tree for the kernel is currently at 59,000
    changesets give or take a few. The BK that you are using uses unsigned
    shorts for the internal names of each delta which means you folks are
    about 100 days away from things no longer working.

    The good news is that the openlogging tree for the kernel has 135,000
    changesets so we've obviously long since fixed this problem.

    The bad news is that you will need to upgrade your BK binary in order
    to pass over the 64K changeset boundary. The data is stored on disk in
    ascii so it doesn't matter if you upgrade until you hit the problem but
    sooner or later you will need to upgrade.

    We'll get the fix into bk-3.2.4 which should be out by the end of the
    month. When we release that we'll send out notice and it would be good
    if people gave it a try and let us know if they hit issues because in a
    couple of months everyone is going to have to upgrade.

    It's possible that we'll be changing the BK license to conform more with
    our commercial license but we won't do that without running it by Linus &
    Co to make sure that it's acceptable. One change we'd like to make there
    is to clarify the non-compete stuff. We've had some people who have
    indicated that they believed that if they used BK they were agreeing
    that they would never work on another SCM system. We can see how it
    is possible that people would interpret the license that way but that
    wasn't our intent. What we would like to do is change the language to
    say that if you use BK you are agreeing that you won't work on another
    SCM for 1 year after you stop using BK. But after that you would be
    able to hack on anything that you wanted. That was more of what we
    had in mind in the first place but we didn't make it clear. If you all
    thought that using BK meant you had no right to hack on SCM ever again,
    that's just not fair. We need to protect our IP but you should have
    the right to choose to go hack SCM if that's what you (our first choice
    is that you came and worked here, we really like kernel hackers, but if
    you don't want to that's cool too).
    --
    ---
    Larry McVoy lm at bitmover.com http://www.bitkeeper.com