SubjectRe: COMMAND_LINE_SIZE increasing in 2.6.11-rc1-bk6
Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Actually this is trivial to do by using a file in initramfs.
> If we need something in a well defined format anyway.

Yes, constructing an additional initramfs, or modifying an existing
one to hold such data is certainly a possibility.

I think there are mainly three choices:
1) the command line
2) an initramfs
3) some other, yet to be defined data structure

1) is relatively easy to do, but leads to more little parsers and
doesn't scale too well. 2) scales well but has a relatively high
overhead (constructing/scanning a cpio archive, etc., particularly
for items needed early in the boot process), and does not work too
well for discontiguous data structures. 3) is of course what we
should try to avoid :-)

So far, I also think that using an initramfs, or at least
something that looks like one, even if not normally used as such,
is the thing to try first.

- Werner