    SubjectRe: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.11-rc3-V0.7.38-01
    Sven Dietrich wrote:
    > Hi George,
    >
    > you may want to use this for reference.
    >
    > This patch adds a config option to allow you to select whether timer IRQ runs in thread or not.
    >
    > I'm not totally happy with the #ifdefs, but it may make witching back and forth easier.

    Thanks, but...

    You are addressing a different problem than I. I want to code the VST patch to
    work in a system with or without the RT patch (it is easy to work with the RT
    option on or off). The problem is setting up the spin locks it needs. My
    solution assumes that RAW_SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED will not be defined unless the RT
    patch is applied.

    As to your patch, in most archs the timer interrupt does accounting which
    requires input on just who was interrupted on the interrupt. This is lost when
    threading the timer IRQ. I think it was problems of this sort that caused Ingo
    to back away...

    George

    PS
    By the way, your mailer (Microsoft Outlook????) set up your attachment in such a
    way that my mailer would not inline it. You might want to look into this.

    --
    George Anzinger george@mvista.com