SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] "iswraid" (ICHxR ataraid sub-driver) for 2.4.29
Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:

>>>the same is true for all new hardware drivers and hardware support
>>>patches. And for new DRM (since new X may need it) and new .. and
>>>new ... where is the line?
>>>
>>>for me a deep maintenance mode is about keeping existing stuff working;
>>>all new hw support and derivative hardware support (such as this) can be
>>>pointed at the new stable series... which has been out for quite some
>>>time now..
>>
>>Red herring.
>>
>>2.4.x has ICH5/6 support -- but is missing the RAID support component.
>>
>>We are talking about hardware that is ALREADY supported by 2.4.x kernel,
>>not new hardware.
>>
>>We are also talking about inability to access data on hardware supported
>>by 2.4.x, not something that can easily be ignored or papered over with
>>a compatibility mode.
>

> the same arguments can be used for crypto support etc.,
> answer is - use 2.6.x or add extra patches to get 2.4.x working

It's fix in a sense. The hardware is supported now, just not very well.
If an IDE chipset was capable of UDA4 and the driver only allowed UDA2
it would be a fix, in this case thehardware is supported partially, the
RAID conponent isn't working, and this is the fix.

It is stretching a point, but adding support for all the features of
hardware which is currently supported just seems to be a valud operation
to me. New crypto feels more like adding a whole new device.

Opinion offered for clarification only, I don't feel strongly on this or
crypto, but I do identify because I have hardware with a 2.4 driver and
I can't use it unless I give up 2.6.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc