    SubjectRe: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario
    Date

    On 9 Dec 2005, at 05:49, Miles Bader wrote:

    > The last bit of hardware I bought, a super-cheapo NIC (for use with an
    > ADSL modem), prominently stated it was "linux compatible".
    > Morever, all
    > the other brands of super-cheapo NIC alongside it on the shelf did the
    > same thing; they all used the defacto linux logo -- the chubby
    > penguin --
    > on the front of the box to indicate this, next to the windows logo to.
    >
    > The fine print on the side of the box said something to the effect of
    > "linux driver is included with OS, not in box" (whereas a floppy with
    > windows driver was in the box).
    >
    > I dunno, maybe there's something weird about NICs or something...
    > I suppose for them it's a no-brainer, since they generally know their
    > stuff will just work in linux, and the only cost to them is someone to
    > insert the logo in the box art. Also, since competition among low-end
    > brands like that is probably ferocious, even a little marketing
    > advantage
    > is probably worth persuing.
    >
    > [But in my experience, it's certainly not _unusual_ to see "linux
    > compatible" on random consumer hardware boxes these days (I live in
    > Tokyo
    > though; maybe the market's a bit different here than where you live).]

    Two advantages to a certified logo program:

    1. To ensure that the driver actually works, continues to work and
    fully supports the features of the hardware.
    2. To enable PC manufactures to badge their entire systems (e.g. a
    Dell with a Linux Compatible sticker on the box).

    The long term objective being to put those manufacturers who don't
    supply open source drivers at a disadvantage.

    regards,
    Felix

      Last update: 2005-12-09 10:51    [W:4.142 / U:0.240 seconds]